Friday, March 15, 2013

the age of poetry


I really wish I "got" poetry. But it just doesn't speak to me. I was invited to a bridal shower once with a poetry theme. We were supposed to pick out our favorite love poem, type it out in a beautiful manner, and present it to the bride-to-be along with a gift that somehow related to the poem. I wrote out the lyrics to "Pour Some Sugar on Me" and gave a creme brulee set.

There is one form of poetry that speaks right to my heart. I am so fortunate because among his many talents, Nate is quite a poet as well. One of his two forms of poetry is the one that sings to my soul: limericks (his other form of poetry is haiku, I like it, but it doesn't get my poetry-fire burning quite like a good limerick does).

To celebrate my 37th birthday, Nate arrange for a Limerick Slam (it was fireside and we even had cake!). Today (because I am now well past my 37th and 1/6th birthday) I will present to you some of the fine limericks gifted to me that night (aren't you excited???!)

We gather here for Sarah's birthday. 
It is her best and not her worst day. 
She grows much more dear
To me every year, 
Much closer than back on our first day. 

When Sarah Beth was 22
She was able to wed you-know-who.
Now that she is 37,
She is practically in heaven,
And doesn't know quite what do do.

What birthday wishes are hers?
She does not want to be draped in furs.
She loves to have flowers,
And sleep in for hours,
And with chocolate she practically purrs.

We think you would like a vacation
Take a plane, boat, or speedy train station
Lay around and get tan
(does your skin think it can?)
Then return to your home, street, and nation.

There once was a girl with blond tresses
Who like to buy shirts, pants, and dresses
She loves getting us gifts
All our spirits she lifts
Her thoughtful ways certainly bless us

The once was a girl who could cook
She didn't even need a book
She made something nice
With sugar and spice
And a very big piece I did took.

There once was a girl from Chi-town;
She met a guy who could get down.
Impressed by his dance,
And attempts at romance,
She consented to wear a white gown.

We know Sarah Beth loves to cook, 
And read her old mystery books. 
She can build a mean fire, 
Can teach and inspire, 
You see she has more than just looks. 

She is really too lovely for words, 
As our brood she so lovingly herds. 
Her reactions to fowl, 
Being freaked by an owl, 
Show we really share no love of birds. 

And there you have it - some blessed snippets of my poetic life.

3 comments:

Kara said...

I love them all!

The owl one is particularly moving.

Evalynn said...

The limerick was divine.
Happy Birthday dear friend of mine.

April said...

I love it! (Thanks for popping in to say hi on my blog from time to time!)