Friday, January 9, 2009

feeling blue?

Lately I've heard from friends and they are a bit down and out, cranky and flustered, moody and feeling that winter will last forever. Nutritionists claim we can pull ourselves out of a funk by eating right. Well, if butter is dairy, flour is grain, almonds are packed with protein, and chocolate is full of essential antioxidants - I have a fix for you!

I discovered this in a magazine, it called for espresso powder and not being a coffee kind of gal I substituted incredibly delicious and fine cocoa powder. The results are absolutely a pick-me-up, a potential PMS cure, and somewhat highly addictive.

2 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup (2 sticks) plus 2 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
1 1/4 cups firmly packed dark brn sugar
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup sliced almonds

Preheat oven to 325. Whisk first 3 ingredients in med bowl to blend. Using a mixer (because it is much easier this way) cream butter and sugar. Beat in cocoa and vanilla. Add flour mixture in 3 additions, mixing until just absorbed after each. Mix in chips and almonds. Dough will be really stiff.

Turn out onto an un-greased rimmed baking sheet. Press into a sort of 12-inch square with finger tips. Bake until edges are lightly browned and beginning to crisp (45-50 min). Cool on sheet for one minute. Cut into bars (I used a pizza cutter). Carefully transfer to cooling racks and cool (bars will crisp up while cooling). They may be slightly unattractive, but who cares. They are so very good for you!

3 comments:

Katers said...

That sounds sooo good right now!

Gina said...

That's my kind of pick-me-up... or just because!

Evalynn said...

I like your perspective on things! You're my kind of lady :)