Thursday, June 2, 2011

for you, kathy b.

We received terrible news today. A member of our ward (congregation) was killed. He was Grace's Primary (Sunday School) teacher. Our prayers continually are in behalf of his wife (who also teaches Grace's class) and his family.

However, I find that my hands need to be busy. After cleaning the house, they were still in need of work. They really seem to be the most at ease in the kitchen. To prevent myself from baking cookies (you know that is my stand-by in times of stress), I considered baking brownies. But I saw the effects of both would be the same - I would consume far too many of each. Instead I busted out the cookbooks and whipped up an old favorite I haven't made in eons; and while doing so I realized I promised faithful reader, Kathy B., I would post Nate's Favorite Pork Chops. She said she wasn't interested in pork that turned out dry. Never you fear, my dear, these are wonderful!

So here are two family classics:

Savory Summer Pie - adapted from a Southern Living magazine dated ages ago

1 unbaked pie crust
1 small red pepper, chopped
1/2 red onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped
4 large eggs
1 cup half and half
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 cups shredded Monterey Jack
1/3 cup shredded Parm cheese
3 plum tomatoes, sliced

Fit pie crust in a 9 1/2 inch deep pie plate. Prick bottom and sides. Bake at 425 for 10 min. Remove from oven and set aside.

Saute bell pepper, onion, and garlic in hot oil for 5 minutes or so. Stir in basil and remove from heat.

Whisk together eggs and the next 3 ingredients in a large bowl. Stir in sauteed veggies and cheeses. Pour into crust; top with tomato slices.

Bake at 375 for 45-50 minutes or until set. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
(Also, someone I know loves some Tabasco on his serving of this)

Nate's Favorite Pork Chops

1/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp pepper
6 pork chops, not the skinny ones mind you, make sure they are nice and thick!
olive oil
2 medium tomatoes (or one can diced tomatoes with all the juice)
1 onion, sliced
3 Tbsp soy sauce (the secret ingredient, if you will)
1/2 cup water

Combine flour, garlic powder and pepper; coat the chops with the mixture. Brown both sides of pork in the hot oil over medium heat. Sprinkle tomatoes and onion pieces over top of the chops. Pour soy sauce and water over all. Simmer, covered for 45 minutes (or less if you weren't able to get those nice, thick chops), until tender, turning once.

Please, please, please serve over rice.

No comments: