Wednesday, February 16, 2011

cloudy with a chance of meatloaf

Strange things are afoot here - its cloudy. Make that Quite Cloudy. Its a friendly reminder that it actually is "winter" (a fact that many of you are painfully aware of, and a fact that my kids wished they remembered more often).

In honor of this Slightly Breezy (did I mention that part too?) and Quite Cloudy day, I'm firing up the oven. We're having roasted fingerling potatoes and mini meatloaves. We'll counter all of that oven-cooked goodness with a crunchy green salad. I am pretty sure Jimmy will eat none of anything prepared. Grace will be a good sport about the salad and dive right into her meatloaf. Nate and I will counter our dinner experience with some serious exercise - I'll be doing a bike ride right before we sit down and he's playing ball tonight.

Have you given up on the meatloaf in your life (I've said goodbye to many a meatloaf recipe over the years)? This is the one that floats our boat.

And since I seem to be on a recipe kick, here's a fun after-school snack (that is if you have kids that are willing to dip fruit into things, mine are not - but that doesn't stop me from snacking!):

Apple Dip

8 oz cream cheese
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Using a hand-mixer, mix together until smooth and creamy. Us as a dip for several cut-up apples. So good!

3 comments:

Katers said...

Meatloaf is up there on my top ten of foods I can't stand (right up there with veal and seafood), but yuck, and double yuck! It is one of Joe's all time favorites, so he has to order it out at restaurants, cause I will NEVER make it!

wendy holt said...

Have you had that apple dip with chocolate covered toffee bits? You don't even need apples. Just a spoon. We have a yummy meatloaf recipe too. Instead of bread crumbs it has oatmeal!! Oatmeal! That makes it healthy.

Emily S. said...

Thanks for the dip recipe!!! Sounds YUMMMMMY!