Tuesday, November 25, 2008

pies, pies, everywere pies - first entry

Today begins the quest for pie. This afternoon (with a little 'help') I made pies I and II (Pecan pie and Hotel Hershey pie).






























First, have your husband make his favorite flaky pie crust (he found a recipe he liked in Cooking Light, doubled the fat content and it is perfect - I'll post that later). Mix up your ingredients and pour into your prepared pie plate. Mmmm, it is so good and gooey.













It looks nice, but wait until you cook it!














See how lovely, its enough to make a young boy smile!




















Pie number II is quite similar in preparation and results.











Sadly I'll have to wait until Thursday to tuck in, at least I've got this guy to keep me company!














Nancy's Lethal Pecan Pie Hangover Cure
taken from "Pie Everyday" by Pat Willard, I'm not sure who Nancy is and how this would cure a hangover, but it is so tasty nonetheless...

1 1/4 cups corn syrup (she specifies dark, I prefer light for some reason)
1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar (I'm the opposite here, I love dark)
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
4 large eggs
1 1/2 cups pecans, coarsely chopped (throw in a few extra if you like)
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt

Put the corn syrup and sugar in med saucepan set over medium heat. Stir until the sugar dissolves. Let the mixture boil softly for 2 minutes, then remove from the heat and stir in the butter. In a large bowl, beat the eggs until they're light lemon in color (she says to use an electric mixer, but whisking fast by hand works well). Continue beating while adding the sugar syrup. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Place in a prepared 9-inch crust (unbaked). Place the pie on a baking sheet and put on center rack in oven. Bake about 50 minutes in a preheated 350 degree oven, just until the filling is set.


Hotel Hershey Pie
This first made its appearance on the holiday menu sometime in my childhood. Its origins are unknown and while staying at the Hotel Hershey (Hershey, PA), my dad asked for a slice of the "famous" pie (at least famous to my family!) and the hotel had no clue what pie he was talking about. Its too bad for them, because this is so yummy....

1 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup melted butter, cooled
(I use unsalted and then add 1/4 tsp salt)
6 oz choc chips (I like to use the minis)
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Beat the eggs in a medium size bowl. Add sugar and cornstarch. Whisk to blend. Add butter, vanilla, chocolate chips, and pecans. Pour mixture into a prepared 9-inch (unbaked) pie shell. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 40 minutes or until puffy and lightly browned. Cool pie an serve with a dollop of whipped cream.

For the record, there was a family wrestling match/hiding game/telling on daddy thing going on while I typed this. If this post doesn't make sense, let me know and I'll clarify if necessary.

2 comments:

H. said...

Oh I have such good memories of those pies!! Thanks for sharing the recipes. My question is: How do people store their pies from Tues to Thurs and keep them fresh? I always just make them the same day, but I know lots of people make ahead.

Katers said...

Thanks for the recipes Sarah, I love, love, love anything PECAN and throw in some chocholate, fabulous! These recipes look great, can't wait to hear about #3, 4 and 4.

Yes, I too want to know how to store the pies if we bake in advance...