Sunday, December 13, 2009

8 days of lights and potato pancakes

As many of you know, it is Hanukkah! To celebrate this ancient holiday, Nate thought it would be fantastic to make potato pancakes. I thought it only appropriate to serve a pork roast along side those fried latkes. I suspect this may embody any chutzpah I have. I hope this isn't blasphemous to any of my readers and that you might just say I'm a bit goyish.

I am on the mend, but have been stuck inside for far too long. This has given me ample opportunity to study the Yiddish handbook.

Shalom

3 comments:

Meredith said...

Oy Vey! This is fabulous! So glad you chose to celebrate the Festival of Lights. Latkes too sound delish.

GG/MOM/geny said...

--how did you acquire a Yiddish handbook? I bought old book of Hebrew traditions, etc..but have wished I had one that tells what to do and why...Sue and Ray's son Bob married a very special Jewish girl..and now have a lovely baby boy..we like her a lot..Jim had Jewish friends with City of Chicago employement and we were invited to some of the Jewish weddings..I loved the smashing of the crystal except I love crystal! and would feel sad it was gone.
So could you advise me on how to obtain book like yours???
I admire the Jewish people so much and just few months ago, watched Fiddler on the Roof again. Saw bueatiful stage performance at Performing Art Center last year of "Fiddler on the Roof." Marvelous. Did you know Charleston was a place of full acceptance for work, faith, homes, schools for Jews seeking asylym from enemies and religious freedom when this area was being settled in the 1600's? We have very active and prosperous group here with their Temple, schools, social activities and as usual, they are the most friendly and charitable folks you could meet. Their pocketbook is open for so many charities..and contribute greatly to medical research. Well-Grits-by-the-sea-side-forgot-and-just- kept-going-on-&-on.Luv-GG-MOM-geny

Kristin said...

Oh how I needed a good laugh tonight! Ask and ye shall receive! Thank you...