Tuesday, August 7, 2012

the end of summer

Tomorrow is a big day around here: The last first-day of school the children will ever share while going to the same school. Must I be so dramatic? No, I must not. Perhaps it is the heat that is getting to me. Or perhaps it is the notion of putting people's name on SO MANY school supplies. The list this year for 5th grade was exceptional.

Grace is thrilled with her class assignment. In her words - "I have THE best teacher, and one of my BFFs is in my class!" I think we are all thrilled.

Jimmy seems to be rolling with the punches. He has some friends in his class. He picked out his first day shirt. He has an Angry Birds pencil case. He's set.

He also cracks me up. When told he would have to eat a strawberry today he said, "well, is it a chocolate covered strawberry??" He was crushed when he found out it was not. But then immediately hopeful we could just find some chocolate to dip. Clearly he has not fallen too far from the tree.

He also was thrilled at finding a folder in the back-to-school section of the store featuring Diary of a Wimpy Kid. So thrilled in fact that he called out to all shoppers, "Hey! I just found Diarrhea of a Wimpy Kid!!!," over and over and over again.

Its been a great summer, but does it really have to end????

1 comment:

Kara said...

Must the winter come so soon?

I can't believe how grown un your kids are.
After you take then to school, I hope you celebrate/mourn with an icy diet coke.