Monday, June 1, 2009

my kind of town

While visiting the Chicago area last week, we decided it best to get ourselves into the city and make the most of it.



Buckingham Fountain - check
Drive Lake Shore Drive - check
Pay homage to Wrigleyville - check
Cruise Michigan Ave - check
Eat lunch at Suzie's* - check
Navigate oneself and family through somewhat familiar Chicago neighborhoods and territory back to one's parents house - check
Nap - check (well at least for Jimmy)
Pack back up and head out for another culinary must: Lou Malnatis** - check

* Suzies is an amazing little hole-in-the-wall. It has been open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, for the last 5 decades (at least). Their milkshakes are the kind you can dream about, the fries are well worth the 40 minute drive from my parents' house, and the baby Philly is truly a gastronomical feat. By the way, this is one of the places my parents would go to when they were dating. Grace found this little tidbit hilarious.

** There are basically three deep dish pizza camps in Chicago: Gino's, Giordano's and Lou's. I was raised in a strict Lou household - so much so that my mom is shocked I really like Giordanos as well. She still lets me stay here with her (I think its only because I bring the kids with or is it that Nate makes eclairs...)

I'm going to miss this place!

1 comment:

the Petterson Family said...

Hi! I am a friend of your friend Kim, she told me that you are from the Chicago area and that you might know of some great places to go and eat. We are going on a vacation to Michigan and will stop for a couple days in Chicago on our way back. Thanks for all the tips on places to eat and see. If you wouldn't mind...what do you think are the top 5 things that we should see in Chicago while we are there? All we know about is the pizza and Sears Tower. Any more yummy places to eat? Thanks!